As part of the monthly security bulletin release cycle, Microsoft provides advance notification to our customers on the number of new security updates being released, the products affected, the aggregate maximum severity and information about detection tools relevant to the update. This is intended to help our customers plan for the deployment of these security updates more effectively.
In addition, to help customers prioritize monthly security updates with any non-security updates released on Windows Update on the same day as the monthly security bulletins, we also provide:
- Information about the release of updated versions of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.
- Information about the release of NON-SECURITY, High Priority updates on Windows Update (WU) and Software Update Services(SUS). Note that this information will pertain ONLY to updates on Windows Update and only about High Priority, non-security updates being released on the same day as security updates. Information will NOT be provided about Non-security updates released on other days.
On 10 May 2005 the Microsoft Security Response Center is planning to release:
- 1 Microsoft Security Bulletin affecting Microsoft Windows. The greatest aggregate, maximum severity rating for these security updates is Important. This update will not require a restart. This update will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA).
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
- Microsoft will release an updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool on Windows Update and the Download Center.
Note that this tool will NOT be distributed using Software Update Services (SUS).
Non-security High Priority updates on WU and SUS
- Microsoft will NOT release any NON-SECURITY High-Priority Updates for Windows on the Windows Update site
Although we do not anticipate any changes, the number of bulletins, products affected, restart information and severities are subject to change until released.
Microsoft will host a webcast next week to address customer questions on these bulletins. For more information on this webcast please see below:
- TechNet Webcast: Information about Microsoft's May Security Bulletins (Level 100)
- Wednesday, May 11, 2005 11:00 AM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
At this time no additional information on these bulletins such as details regarding severity or details regarding the vulnerability will be made available until 10 May 2005.
Microsoft PSS Security Team